Engage help from police

If you are a victim of image-based abuse your local police may be able to help. Police may be able to pursue criminal charges against the person who shared an intimate image or video of you.

Contacting police

For non-emergencies, you can call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444 or contact your local police station.

Staying safe

If you are experiencing image-based abuse as part of an abusive or violent relationship, staying safe is your number one priority and your local police are there to help.

If you are feeling unsafe now, call Triple Zero (000)

You can call police, or visit your local police station to report image-based abuse. It is helpful to take a supportive friend or family member along when you meet with police. They can help by taking notes so you can read over them later. Make sure you write down the police report or event number, and the name and rank of the officer you speak with in case you need it later. We have a form to help you provide police with useful background information about your case and advice on how to collect evidence.

There may be a specialist police officer you can talk to.

  • If your situation involves family or domestic violence you can ask to speak to a specialist Domestic Violence Officer.
  • If you are LBGTI you can ask to speak with a Gay and Lesbian Liaison Officer.
  • If you are Aboriginal or Torres Strait islander you can ask to speak to an Aboriginal Liaison Officer.
  • If you are from an ethnic or multicultural community you can ask to speak with either an Ethnic Community Liaison Officer or a Multicultural Community Liaison Officer.

Find your local police station

How can police help?

How police can help depends on the laws that apply within your state or territory. Right now, laws differ across each state and territory and can be complex. Your local police can help you to work out whether there are laws that may apply in your case.

What’s the law in my state or territory?

Even if there are no specific laws the police can use for your case, you can ask them to record your complaint in a report. This means that if the abuse continues or gets worse, there is a history of your concerns.

Preparing to go to police

It will be easier for police to help if you give them as much information as you can. It may be useful to show the police evidence so they can understand exactly what happened. This can include screenshots of the images and the web address or URLs of any images or video that have been posted or shared. The form, ‘What to take to police’ outlines the kind of information police may need.

There may be a number of laws, civil and/or criminal, that apply in your case. You can find out more about the differences between civil law and criminal law at the link below.

Understanding civil and criminal law

Would you like legal advice?

You may wish to take a lawyer with you when you meet with police.

Finding a lawyer

Support and counselling

You will find more options for support and counselling services in the support section of this website.

Take me to support