There are some simple things that parents can do to can help prevent unwanted contact.
- Stay involved in your child’s use of technologies. Keep up-to-date with the sites they are visiting and explore them together.
- It is useful to consider whether you are comfortable with the content of the sites and the potential for contact with others including adults.
- Help them to report cyberbullying to the service provider or website administrator.
- Reassure your child that you will give support even when they have shared something online they might regret.
- Keep communication open and calm so they know they can report when someone is asking them to do something online that doesn’t feel right.